Serving Edgewood, WA *** (253) 863-7348
The 2020 Pierce County Hazard Mitigation Plan being completed by Pierce County Emergency Management includes a hazard mitigation plan for Mt. View-Edgewood Water Company. The last plan was completed in 2015. The attached files below are drafts of the 2020 Hazard Mitigation Plan for member review.
See our Southern Reservoir page under More for information on a new reservoir being constructed in 2019 and 2020.
Our Development Standards are now available online. Just click on More up above and then Development Standards.
The Water Company has been able to reduce the rate of our customer's Water Base Fee! In 2018 the rate was reduced by 5% and in 2019 it was reduced again by 7.5%. In 2020 the rates stayed the same as 2019.
It's no secret that Mt. View-Edgewood Water Company has great tasting water, but did you know that The Water Company has won several awards for its great tasting water?
Mike Craig, Mt. View-Edgewood Water Company's Field Manager won the Evergreen Rural Water of Washington's (ERWOW) Water Operator of the Year Award in 2013.
Mt. View-Edgewood Water Company, formed in 1925, welcomes all new residents and businesses that have recently moved to Edgewood. Below is information to all our customers about why our water system is special. Mt. View-Edgewood Water Company serves around 10,000 people a day within the City of Edgewood and our water source is ground water from 7 different wells that are used.
Below are Water Company accomplishments we want to share with our customers.
1) Excellent Water Quality - The water does not require any treatment to meet water quality standards. We are one of the largest water systems in Washington that the State Department of Health (DOH) does not require chlorination to disinfect the water!
2) 2019 Clean Sanitary Survey – The state regulator for drinking water systems, The Washington State Department of Health (DOH), conducts sanitary surveys of water systems every 3 – 5 years. Mt. View-Edgewood Water Company had a survey completed on 5/16/19. The Engineer stated that this is the first sanitary survey in his 20 years at DOH that he did not identify any significant deficiency, significant finding, observation, or recommendation! Well done to our staff who work hard to provide the very best service to our customers.
3) 2018 and 2019 Water Rate Reductions – In 2019 Mt. View-Edgewood Water Company reduced the base rate for water service by 7.5%. In 2018 the base rate was reduced by 5%. This is because our unit cost to produce water has lowered the last couple years due to our growth in customers. When is the last time you heard of a utility lowering their rates? Mt. View-Edgewood Water Company has done it twice in 2 years!
4) New Southern Reservoir –Mt. View-Edgewood Water Company is currently constructing a 1.0 Million Gallon tank and a booster pump station located next to our existing tanks along 48th Street. This $3,400,000 project will allow the Water Company to meet the water storage and fire protection needs of our growing system for the next 20 years. Due to good financial planning, the Water Company will pay for this project from reserves funded by new connection fees. No loans or rate increases will be required to pay for this project!
5) Water System Plan – Many water systems hire engineering consultants to complete water system plans that are required by DOH to be updated every ten years. Due to the experience of Water Company staff, Mt. View-Edgewood Water Company was able to complete a Water System Plan in 2017 with minor assistance from a consultant. By completing most of the work in-house, the Water Company was able to save a significant amount of money.
6) Highly Qualified Staff – DOH requires Mt. View-Edgewood Water Company to have an operator certified as a Water Distribution Manager 2 (WDM 2) or higher as well as a Cross Connection Control Specialist (CCS). Our field staff includes two employees with WDM 2 certifications and two with WDM 1 certifications. Three employees have their CCS certifications, and two have their backflow assembly tester (BAT) certifications. Four of the ten staff members have been with the company longer than 10 years. Field Manager Mike Craig has been with the Water Company since 1998 and was named water operator of the year in the state of Washington in 2013. Water operator Jon Young has been with the Water Company for 33 years!
7) 100% Cross Connection Isolation – Cross connections occur when non-potable substances enter the water system. This is prevented by installing backflow assembly devices on service lines to prevent water from flowing backwards. Almost all water systems require customers to install, test, and maintain their backflow devices at the owner’s expense. In 2005 the Water Company Board voted to enact 100% premise isolation and have the Water Company implement the program. Backflow devices are installed on all service lines, and the Water Company tests and maintains all assemblies except for large commercial devices. The cost of this program is covered under a customer’s normal base water charge. This program is unique in the State of Washington and another way the Water Company provides value to its customers.
8) Even Dogs Like Us! – Free cookies, and pets by the office staff, to any dog who brings their human into the office at 11610 32nd Ave E, 8 AM – 4:30 PM, Monday – Friday.
9) Best Tasting Water Ever! – In 2012 Mt. View-Edgewood Water Company was voted the best-tasting water in the nation by the National Rural Water Association. In 2017 and 2018 Mt. View-Edgewood Water Company won the best tasting water competition for the South Sound subsection of the Pacific Northwest Section of the American Water Works Association. Great tasting, high quality water, at a superb value!
If you have any other questions about your water, please call us at (253) 863-7348. You can also find additional information at our website www.mtvewater.com.